Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.

City Code Requirements & Rules
ORDINANCE NO. 29-2016:  A New Ordinance providing signage regulations was adopted April 17, 2017. To view the Ordinance in its entirety Click here

ACCUMULATION OF TRASH AND DEBRIS ON PROPERTY:  Junk, trash and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, and tires; trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc.; and debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs.

BUILDING PERMITS:  Permits are required for most construction projects. Any structural repairs, new fencing, most plumbing and electrical work, driveway installations, and even removal of certain trees can require a permit from the City.

ELEVATION OF LAND:  No changes in elevation of the land shall be made which will interfere with the drainage of, or otherwise cause undue hardship to adjoining property.

GARAGE SALES:  Garage sales are limited to two (2) per calendar year from a single residence, with a maximum length of three (3) consecutive days per sale.  No “garage sale” signs may be affixed to trees, shrubbery, vines or utility poles. Each yard/garage sale is limited to five signs of four square feet in area or less. One sign may be placed on-site in the yard and no more than four of the allowed five signs can be directional signs located off site within city rights-of-way. To maintain clear sight lines, any off site or on site yard/garage sale signs cannot be located within 25 feet of any intersection. Yard/garage sale signs are allowed only on the days for which the yard sale is conducted consistent with applicable city regulations. All yard/garage sale signs are to be removed on the last day of the sale and any signs remaining after the yard/garage sale ends may result in enforcement action. Garage sale items are defined as used household or personal articles.

HOME BUSINESSES:  Before operating a business from your home, you must obtain a business tax certificate issued through the business tax office. Business tax certificates are valid from October 1 through September 30 of the following year.  Home businesses are limited to office use or the making of arts and crafts. They shall not involve supplier or client business visits to the premises. They shall not involve the use of equipment or processes on the premises of the home business which may adversely affect nearby dwelling or properties through noise, vibrations, odors, fumes, or fire hazards, light glare, electrical or radio wave interference or the like. The home business must be clearly incidental to the use of the dwelling unit for residential purposes.

OVERGROWN WEEDS AND GRASS:  Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility if every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material in any right-of-way abutting the property. Yards must be maintained so that grass and weeds do not exceed 12 inches in height.

PARKING:  Motor vehicles must be parked on an approved driveway or driveway extension in the front yard. Vehicles may also be parked behind the face of the house in the side or back yard. All vehicles must have a current tag and be operable unless stored inside an enclosed garage.

  • No vehicle over 10,000 pounds, designed to carry over 16 or more passengers, or requiring a CDL license are allowed to be parked in residential areas or in agriculture areas of 5 acres or less.
  • No vehicles greater than 21 feet in length and/or greater than 10 feet in height may be parked in the front yard. Sport-utility vehicles (SUV’s) or pick-up trucks for personal use that have no commercial advertising may be parked in the driveway.
  • No vehicles shall be parked on undeveloped lots.
  • No permanent parking of vehicles on the right of way. Vehicles may be parked in the right-of-way on a temporary basis (up to 2 days a week).
  • No vehicles for sale shall be parked on public property or on the public right-of-way at any time.
  • All camping type vehicles, trailers, and boats must have a current license plate or validation sticker and must be stored behind the face of the house.
  • Camping type vehicles, boats, and trailers may be parked on driveways for up to 2 days per week if the resident is actively loading, unloading, or cleaning for trip preparation.
SIGNS:  Signs in the public right-of-way are prohibited. Off premise signs and signs attached to utility poles, trees, and fences are prohibited.  Permits are needed for commercial and special occasion signs.  Contact the Zoning Dept. at (386) 878-8650 for more information.

SWIMMING POOLS:  A building permit must be obtained for in-ground or above-ground pools. A barrier at least 48 inches in height must enclose swimming pools. Swimming pools must be maintained in a sanitary condition.

VEHICLES (UNTAGGED, INOPERATIVE, ABANDONED):  Vehicles without current license tags, or vehicles that are inoperative (wrecked, dismantled or mechanically incapable of being operated) may be not be stored on residential lots, except in fully enclosed garages. Parking of such vehicles on the public right-of-way is prohibited.

2345 Providence Blvd., Deltona, FL 32725
Phone: (386) 878-8100 Fax: (386) 878-8501
Employee Webmail