Political Committees

Forms and Resources for Political Committees

Website Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I need to file as a political committee?

  • A combination of two or more individuals, or a person other than an individual (e.g., a club or organization) must file as a political committee and submit campaign reports when during a calendar year, in access of $500 aggregate, they:
    • Accept contributions or make expenditures to expressly advocate the election or defeat of a candidate or issue;
    • Accepts contributions for the purpose of contributing to any candidate, political committee, affiliated party committee, or political party; or
    • Sponsor a proposed constitutional amendment by initiative and intend to seek signatures of registered electors. (Section 106.011(16), F.S.)

Where do I file as a committee?

  • Division of Elections:
    • Political committees supporting or opposing statewide, legislative or multicounty candidates or issues;
    • Political committees that would otherwise be required to file in two or more locations by reason of the committee's intention to support or oppose candidates or issues at state or multicounty and local levels;
  • Supervisor of Elections:
    • Political committees supporting or opposing countywide or less than countywide candidates or issues (except municipal).
  • Municipal Clerk:
    • Political committees supporting or opposing municipal candidates or issues.

As a Political Party (e.g., Republican or Democratic) Club, am I required to file as a political committee?

  • A political party "club" is not considered a "political party executive committee;" however, if the club satisfies the definition of a "political committee" in Section 106.011(16), F.S., e.g., receives contributions or makes expenditures in excess of $500 in the aggregate per calendar year for the purpose of expressly advocating the election or defeat of a candidate or making contributions to candidates, the club is required to file and report as a political committee.

If I give a contribution to a Florida congressional candidate, do I have to file as a committee?

  • No, but it is recommended that you contact the Federal Election Commission in Washington, DC at 1-800-424-9530 for information regarding contributions to federal candidates.

How much money can I give to a political committee?

  • No limit exists on the amount that can be contributed to a political committee.

What if my political committee wants to change the campaign treasurer or other officers?

  • File a reappointment of campaign treasurer (Form DS-DE 6) with the filing officer along with a copy of the letter of resignation or removal. To change the chairperson, a notice in writing is sufficient. (Section 106.021(2), F.S.)

I want to close my committee. What do I need to do?

  • Notify the filing officer in writing as soon as possible. (Section 106.03(5), F.S.)

What can my political committee do with leftover funds?

  • The political committee must disburse the funds in the manner that the committee indicated it would dispose of residual funds on the Statement of Organization of Political Committee (Form DS-DE 5), which is on file with the filing officer.

Frequently Asked Questions - Campaign Reports

Where to File
Reports are filed with the officer before whom the political committee registers. In the case of the City of Deltona it is the Deltona City Clerk or designee.

Waiver of Report
A waiver of report indicates there has been no activity in the campaign account for the reporting period (no contributions received and no expenditures made). The committee must indicate that there is no activity by filing a waiver of report by the due date.

Submitting Report
The chairperson, campaign treasurer and each deputy treasurer shall submit the report to the City Clerk or designee who will date/time stamp the report and provide a copy of the date/time stamped report to the person who submitted it. The report will then be placed on the City of Deltona's website.

When to File
Reports must be completed and filed through the City Clerk's Officeno later than 4:30 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, of the due date to allow time for copying and posting to the City's website.

Penalty for late Filing
Any political committee failing to file a report on the designated due date shall be subject to a fine of $50 per day for the first 3 days late and, thereafter, $500 per day for each late day, not to exceed 25% of the total receipts or expenditures, whichever is greater, for the period covered by the late report. However, for reports immediately preceding each primary and general election, the fine shall be $500 per day for each late day, not to exceed 25% of the total receipts or expenditures, whichever is greater, for the period covered by the late report.

Filing Amendments
Amendments to reports should be filed as soon as an error is noticed.