City Code Requirements & Rules

For more information about all City Codes and Ordinances please see City Ordinances.

Common Code Violations

  • ACCUMULATION OF TRASH AND DEBRIS ON PROPERTY: Junk, trash, and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, and tires; trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc.; and debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs. 
    • For more information on how to dispose of these items properly please visit the Solid Waste Division Page or contact 386-878-8723.
  • GARAGE SALES: Garage sales are limited to two (2) per calendar year from a single residence, with a maximum length of three (3) consecutive days per sale. No “garage sale” signs may be affixed to trees, shrubbery, vines, or utility poles. Each yard/garage sale is limited to five signs of four square feet in area or less. One sign may be placed on-site in the yard and no more than four of the allowed five signs can be directional signs located off-site within neighboring properties. Yard/garage sale signs are allowed only on the days for which the yard sale is conducted consistent with applicable city regulations. All yard/garage sale signs are to be removed on the last day of the sale and any signs remaining after the yard/garage sale ends may result in enforcement action. Garage sale items are defined as used household or personal articles.
  • OVERGROWN WEEDS AND GRASS: Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material in any right-of-way abutting the property. Yards must be maintained so that grass and weeds do not exceed 12 inches in height.
    In Violation     In Compliance   
    Not in Compliance                                  In Compliance
  • PARKINGMotor vehicles must be parked on an approved driveway or driveway extension in the front yard. Vehicles may also be parked behind the face of the house in the side or backyard. All vehicles must have a current tag and be operable unless stored inside an enclosed garage.
    • No vehicle over 10,000 pounds, designed to carry over 16 or more passengers, or requiring a CDL license is allowed to be parked in residential areas or agriculture areas of 5 acres or less.
    • No permanent parking of vehicles on the right-of-way. Vehicles may be parked in the right-of-way on a temporary basis (up to 2 days a week)
    • No vehicles shall be parked on undeveloped lots.
    • No vehicles greater than 21 feet in length and/or greater than 10 feet in height may be parked in the front yard. Sport-utility vehicles (SUVs) or pickup trucks for personal use that have no commercial advertising may be parked in the driveway.
    • No vehicles for sale shall be parked on public property or on the public right-of-way at any time.
    • All camping-type vehicles, trailers, and boats must have a current license plate or validation sticker and must be stored behind the face of the house.
    • Camping-type vehicles, boats, and trailers may be parked on the driveway for up to 2 days per week if the resident is actively loading, unloading, or cleaning for trip preparation.
  • SIGNSSigns in the public right-of-way are prohibited. Off-premise signs and signs attached to utility poles, trees, and fences are prohibited.  Permits are needed for commercial and special occasion signs.
    • For more information contact the Zoning Department at (386) 878-8650 and or review the sign code for the City of Deltona Ordinance No. 29-2016.
  • SWIMMING POOLSA building permit must be obtained for in-ground or above-ground pools. A barrier at least 48 inches in height must enclose swimming pools. Swimming pools must be maintained in a sanitary condition.
  • INOPERABLE VEHICLESVehicles without current license tags or vehicles that are inoperative (wrecked, dismantled, or mechanically incapable of being operated) may not be stored on residential lots, except in fully enclosed garages. Parking of such vehicles on the public right-of-way is prohibited.
  • WORK WITHOUT A PERMIT: Permits are required for most construction projects. Any structural repairs, new fencing, most plumbing, and electrical work, driveway installations, and even removal of certain trees can require a permit from the City.
    • For more information on how to obtain a permit please contact the Permitting Clerks at 386-878-8660 or 386-878-8662 and/or visit their site at Building Services Department.
  • ELEVATION OF LAND: No changes in elevation of the land shall be made which will interfere with the drainage of, or otherwise, cause undue hardship to adjoining property.
    • For more Environmental Questions please contact Phyllis Wallace at 386-878-8965 or by email at
  • HOME BUSINESSES: Before operating a business from your home, you must obtain a business tax receipt issued through the business tax office. Business tax certificates are valid from October 1 through September 30 of the following year.  Home businesses are limited to office use or the making of arts and crafts. They shall not involve supplier or client business visits to the premises. They shall not involve the use of equipment or processes on the premises of the home business which may adversely affect nearby dwelling or properties through the noise, vibrations, odors, fumes, or fire hazards, light glare, electrical or radio wave interference, or the like. The home business must be clearly incidental to the use of the dwelling unit for residential purposes.
    • For more information please contact the Business Tax Office and speak with Milton Robles at 386-878-8559 or email him at