City of Deltona’s Residential Open Burn Authorization Requirements
It is the intent of the Deltona Fire Department to keep you and your neighbors safe from fires as we continue to face these extremely dry conditions.
Residential Open Burn Authorizations shall meet at a minimum, all of the following requirements:
- A minimum of 1 acre of land.
- Is to be done on premises where the yard debris is generated.
- Require authorization from the Deltona Fire Department’s Fire Safety Division and an on-site inspection.
- Shall be a minimum of 25 ft. from combustible (woodlands, forest, brush, power lines, etc.) material.
- Shall be located not less than 50 ft. from any structure.
- Shall be a minimum of 150 ft. from other occupied buildings.
- Shall be a minimum of 50 ft. from paved public roads.
- Burning will be authorized only between the hours of 9:00 AM and one hour prior to sunset, excluding special authorizations.
- Shall be constantly attended by a competent person until such fire is extinguished (NO flame(s), smoke or emissions). This person is required to be present and have issued and current burn authorization on site at all times. This person shall have a garden hose connected to the water supply or other fire-extinguishing equipment readily available for use.
- Burning must not create a nuisance.
IT IS ILLEGAL to burn household garbage (including paper products), treated lumber, asphalt, roofing material, tar, railroad cross ties, lumber, plastics, rubber materials, tires, pesticides, paint, aerosol containers, toxic or hazardous waste, or any other materials listed by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), or this article is prohibited.
If an unauthorized/illegal burn is found and is extinguished by fire department personnel, the property owner/permittee can be subject to incur all costs of extinguishment.
If you would like to conduct a bonfire and/or campfire, or if you have any questions and/or concerns, please contact the Deltona Fire Department’s Fire Safety Division at 386-878-8656 or 386-878-8655.