View Contact Info
City of Deltona Firefighters' Pension Plan - Section 112.664 Florida Statutes Compliance
City Ordinance Nos. 33-1998 and 37-2000
The Firefighter's Pension Plan Board of Trustees meets on an as needed basis, at least quarterly, at 4:00 p.m. The meetings are held in the City Hall 2nd Floor Conference Room, 2345 Providence Blvd. All interested residents and visitors are welcome to attend. For more information regarding a particular agenda item or meeting, please contact the Finance Department at (386) 878-8100.
Minutes and any supporting documentation are in Adobe pdf format. You will need the Acrobat reader to view these documents. You may obtain a free download of Acrobat Reader here. Some pdf files may take a few minutes to load depending on size of the file and the speed of your connection.
The Board of Trustees shall consist of five members, two of whom, unless otherwise prohibited by law, shall be legal residents of the City who shall be appointed by the City Commission, and two of whom shall be full-time firefighters as defined in Section 175.032, Florida Statutes, who shall be elected by a majority of the active firefighters who participate in the Pension Plan. The fifth member shall be chosen by a majority of the previous four members, and such person’s name shall be submitted to the City Commission. Upon receipt of the fifth person’s name, the City Commission shall, as a ministerial duty, appoint such person to the Board as its fifth member.
TERMS OF OFFICE:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Board of Trustees shall meet at least quarterly. The Trustees shall by a majority vote elect a chair and a secretary. The Trustees shall not receive any compensation as such, but may receive expenses and per diem as provided by Florida law.
The Board shall engage such actuarial, accounting, legal, and other services as shall be required to transact the business of the Plan. The compensation of all persons engaged by the Board and all other expenses of the Board necessary for the operation of the Plan shall be paid from the Fund at such rates and in such amounts as the Board shall agree. In the event the Board chooses to use the City’s legal counsel, actuary or other professional, technical or other advisors, it shall do so only under terms and conditions acceptable to the Board.
The duties and responsibilities of the Board shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- To construe the provisions of the Plan and determine all questions arising thereunder
- To determine all questions relating to eligibility and participation
- To determine and certify the amount of all retirement allowances or other benefits hereunder
- To establish uniform rules and procedures to be followed for administrative purposes, benefit applications and all matters required to administer the Plan
- To distribute to participants, at regular intervals, information concerning the Plan
- To receive and process all applications for benefits
- To authorize all payments whatsoever from the Fund, and to notify the disbursing agent, in writing, of approved benefit payments and other expenditures arising through operation of the Plan and Fund
- To have performed actuarial studies and valuations at least as often as required by law, and make recommendations regarding any and all changes in the provisions of the Plan
- To perform such other duties as are required to prudently administer the Plan
The attorney of the City shall give advice to the Board of Trustees in all matters pertaining to its duties in the administration of the Fund whenever requested; and he or she shall represent and defend the Board as its attorney in all suits and actions at law or in equity that may be brought against it and bring all suits and actions in its behalf that may be required or determined upon by the Board. However, if the Board of Trustees so elects, it may employ independent legal counsel at the Fund’s expense for the purposes contained herein, together with such other professional, technical, or other advisers, as the Board deems necessary.
|John Fleemin III|
|Lisa Spriggs||Plan Administrator|
|Camille Hooper||City Finance Director|