Our Mayor, Heidi Herzberg, was recently appointed to serve as Chair of the Florida League of Cities’ Policy Committee for Utilities, Natural Resources and Public Works.
“It’s an honor to chair the League’s Policy Committee for Utilities, Natural Resources and Public Works after serving on it for five years. It’s crucial to address municipal concerns like natural resources, water quality and quantity, stormwater and reuse, hazardous and toxic waste, solid waste, and this year’s focus—trees,” said Herzberg.
Legislative Policy Committee chairs, vice chairs and members were appointed by the League’s incoming President, City of Lakeland Commissioner Phillip Walker. The Florida League of Cities serves the state of Florida as the united voice for Florida’s municipal governments.
Chairs from each of the League’s policy committees also serve on FLC’s Resolutions and Legislative Committee. With the Florida Legislature convening the 2022 legislative session in January instead of March, the legislative policy committee meetings began meeting this June instead of September. This accelerated timeline means the proposed priorities adopted by each policy committee will be submitted to the Legislative Committee and then ultimately the FLC members for consideration and adoption at the FLC Annual Conference in August. These priorities then become the League's Legislative Action Agenda.
Through her contributions on these committees, Herzberg will help develop the League’s Action Agenda, detailing priority issues most likely to affect daily municipal governance and local decision-making during the upcoming legislative session, as well as help League staff understand the real-world implications of proposed legislation. Committee members are also asked to serve as advocates for local decision-making throughout the legislative process.
Mayor Herzberg currently serves as:
- Executive Board of Team Volusia Economic Development Corporation
- Chair of Volusia County Elected Officials Roundtable
- Chair of the Florida League of Cities Utilities, Natural Resources & Public Works Policy Committee
- Member of the Florida League of Cities Advocacy Committee
- Member Florida League of Mayors
- Past President and current Executive Board member of the Volusia League of Cities
- Board Member of the Daytona State College Center for Women & Men
- Board member Healthy Start
- Board member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Volusia & Flagler County
Through public service and volunteerism, Mayor Herzberg recognizes the importance of partnerships, working together and using our collective resources for the greater good of not only Deltona, but the residents of all of Volusia County and the state of Florida.